ODSCI Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orillia District Snowmobile Club's Official Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Trail Maps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Charles

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:55 pm

I am trying to organize a trip from Orillia to Minden for the weekend and what a nightmare. I have all the maps, but they are so out of date, they are useless. Some of the Muskoka Maps are at least 5 years old, even though they say 2009. It has been several years since the B/D trail went right across Kahshe Lake, but rather has been on land for quite some time.

I was out last Saturday looking for the Southern route thru Lake Dalrymple and over to Norland. What happened to B104 that goes South off of B? Even the map on this Web site shows several trails dropping South off of B, but the only one I could find was 208.

Got over to where 208 meets B104 (at least I think that's where I was since there was a map there but nothing to say "you are here"; a map is totally useless if you don't know where you are!) and four guys were there just as lost as I was. They had come from Norland and said B104 just disappears from there to Minden. They had come all the way down the side of #35 Hwy from Minden to Norland. I knew the way back to Orillia, so they followed me back.

Cancel the Southern route, better head North. I mentioned this to these four guys and that is the way they had gone that morning. That was a disaster too. Main B trail is closed from 118 to Minden. After some research, there is a way thru feeder trails that should be interesting. I find it strange that feeder trails have more priority than the Main Top B Trail.

It is discouraging when you are trying to get somewhere and even the Main Top (A,B,C etc) Trails are closed or poorly marked and the Latest trail map is more of a wish list than an accurate reference that you can count on. Orillia is a perfect example. The B trail seems to always play second fiddle to the rail lines that are groomed twice as often and get far more attention. Yet the rail lines are secondary trails according to the Map. If I was not familiar with the area, I would ignore them and search out the B Trail which in many areas is a twisting turning goat path with more road running than actual trail.

When you look at the Top Trail Guide and see the Top Trails, you assume those trails will be the biggest and the best and planning a trip around those trails will be successful. But it seems nothing is further from the truth. Such is the nature of the beast!
Back to top Go down
00xc6

00xc6

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 pm

The only thing I would suggest is look on the OFSC website to plan your trip. I have been out to Norland from Orilllia a couple times this year and once you get to Norland thats pretty much as far as your going to get. Unless you want to follow a 1 sled wide horse trail... So to speak. Nothing is groomed coming out of Norland heading anywhere but back to Orillia. My suggestion would be to take the B trail towards gravenhurst and then arcross to Minden on the 209 trail i beleive it is. Or stay on the B trail and take the long way around Vankoughnet. Getting a good trail map should help you on your trip as well if you get lost. Many gas stations and other places have them near their counter. And they dont cost anything. Good luck! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lkstgeo

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:40 pm

hi, head to Gravenhurst, run roads to D, then # 3, then B, good going to Ox narrows. Gravenhurst to Ox narrows 3 hrs.. Watch the weather.
Back to top Go down
FRASERn
FRASERn

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 am

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience...We had a club ride last night and I noted the 208 sign...should be B104. We are having it corrected...not sure how or when it got messed up. We just got that section of trail open recently. I will also get the "you are here" label on the sign addressed. We had labels made up and installed when we put the map signs up...possible we missed one/vandilism/etc...we will correct.

I made it across to Fenelon Falls last week on the B trail...I headed south from Head lake to Balsam lake on local trail...and then up the railway bed to Haliburton.

I have made the trip from Norland to Minden in the past (2 years ago) and it was an adventure.

Next time, i am taking the B to D (North Route)...have heard good things.
Back to top Go down
Charles

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. Kind of sounds like Minden is not a good destination to try and get to by sled. I am trying to get ahold of Andy of District #6 to verify that B104 does run from Norland to B103 and then Top B to Minden. He told me earlier in the week they had just opened it, but if it's a goat path, it might be better to go the North route as you all have suggested. Just trying to go one way and back the other, but a good trail twice is better than a bad one once.

Ikstgeo: You mentioned with the North route that we would have to run the road to get to Top D and then 3 to Top B. Does Top B not go right up thru to 3 as indicated on the map?

Once we get to Ox Narrows we will be home free, as I have run the Lakes almost to Conarvon before, so that is an option if necessary.

Fraser: That makes sense with the 208 marker actually being B104. The jucntion I was at was probably B104 and 103.

I think we will go toward Gravenhurst going. We can scout around on Saturday and see if there is a trail from Minden to Norland. Hopefully the rain holds off.

Thanks again, Chuck
Back to top Go down
lkstgeo

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Usually # 15 to Gravenhurst is in good shape. Plus it is always can be found !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trail Maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Maps   Trail Maps I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trail Maps
Page 1 of 1