ODSCI Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orillia District Snowmobile Club's Official Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Trails Open?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Charles

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 am

January 4th and definitely getting the itch to go for a ride. Logged on to ODSCI Forums and thought I would say hello. Have we got enough snow to open the trails? It is always hard to wait for those first snow falls to prep the trails for the groomer. This cold weather should be helping to freeze things up. Should be making ice on the lakes these nights. These latest snow squals seem to be missing us for the most part, but I am sure we will get our share soon enough.

Happy Sledding, Charles.
Back to top Go down
Kerry

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 pm

As of today the west side from HWY 12 is open.THE season is under way!
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Charles

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 am

YES!! The trails are open. Was out yesterday the 5th and the groomers were going strong. Could definitely use more snow but surprisingly good for what we have.

It's funny how we don't have much more snow than we did 2 weeks ago, but suddenly they can groom. I think there is an unwritten rule that the trails don't open until the first week of January. I can understand why that is the case, but I would have more respect for ODSC if they would just be up front about it and make a statement to that affect.

Don't want to whine and bitch too much though. I know it takes countless, thankless hours by volunteers to get to this point. I just want to say thank you to all of you that make our trails happen.

Thanks again, Charles
Back to top Go down
Kerry

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 pm

It would be nice Charles but I think there are probably restrictions in place also to protect the wheat fields on the trails so they are at least properly frozen even if the snow is thin.We had snow before we had the real cold so i'm sure that plays into it.
I think last year because there was an abundance of early snow the season kicked off earlier because there was enough cover to protect crops.
Sadly this year because of the farmers getting the corn off most fields we are back to the straight thru run on the fields.I actually liked the routing that took place last year because of the corn still being in,it was a nice change in spots.Nonetheless it will be nice to ride again.
Bring on the SNOW!!
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Poidy

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 4:02 pm

I have a question, we are over by McPee Bay, Joyland beach on lake Simcoe, now I wpuld like to know how to get into Orillia, do we just cross the bridge at the narrow?? because the ice by Mara Park is NOT safe yet

McPhee Bay where the trail (behide Byers) comes onto it, has 8 inches of ice, I know because we are fishing on it and cutting holes

Thanks

DP
Back to top Go down
http://www.poidy.fabpage.com
Kerry

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 am

Poidy wrote:
I have a question, we are over by McPee Bay, Joyland beach on lake Simcoe, now I wpuld like to know how to get into Orillia, do we just cross the bridge at the narrow?? because the ice by Mara Park is NOT safe yet

McPhee Bay where the trail (behide Byers) comes onto it, has 8 inches of ice, I know because we are fishing on it and cutting holes

Thanks

DP
Yes unfortuately that is the only safe way right now and if it's plowed bare it's a long ride over the bridge.
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Poidy

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am

To bad, I sure wish they still used that old rail bridge to get to the other side, that would have been great.
Back to top Go down
Kerry

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Poidy wrote:
To bad, I sure wish they still used that old rail bridge to get to the other side, that would have been great.

The club has been trying to get something going in that direction for a few years now.There are and will be a lot of hurdles before that becomes a reality.It would certainly be the best for all sides if it happened though.
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Poidy

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks for the info, was talking with one of my groomer buddies at Joyland Beach, he said good to go on lake Couchiching, 10 inches of ice to Orillia, just have to cross Rama road, did not try it last weekend, as we did the eastern trails
Update from me next weekend unless someone else would like to add input on this thread

Thanks

Dave

www.poidy.fabpage.com
Back to top Go down
dibi Mach z x

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Rode the trails on the west side of Couch 203 206 B B105 all in great shape
Back to top Go down
Poidy

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Have another question, bare with me, getting different answers.
Whan in orillia, the trails off the lake, from Tudhope park to either the Bus station or close to Orillia water front by the new condos, is that not part of the groomed trail system or not, can anyone ride on that part of town, (as long as ins and lic) without haveing a trail permit
I come off Lake Simcoe to Forest Ave, shoot north to couch, onto that lake at Tudhope park or Orillia docks to go fishing, local O.P.P. have no problem (I asked) but I was told you need a permit in town by O.D.S.C.???
Back to top Go down
dibi Mach z x

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:42 am

to the best of my knowledge any trail you go on you need a 2010 trail permit pass insurance and your licence tag on your sled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trails Open? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trails Open?   Trails Open? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trails Open?
Page 1 of 1